Sunday, January 18, 2009

BLACK ICE

This is my first blog entry without picture. So I will try to paint one with words.

I got home last night around 11:30 pm, with misting rain and temps in the mid 20's. With the cold temps that we had for 2 days had everything freezing. All this caused black ice build up. Turned on the police scanner and it had already started. First there were cars slipping here and there, and running into everything. Second it was muli car pile ups. Then the Police were dispatched out to the wrecks, not getting there because they couldn't go. Fire Trucks were having the same Bad luck. All major roads were getting impassable because of the ice and vehicles blocking and the pile ups. Then they call the salt truck workers in. They couldn't get to the garage, to get the salt trucks out. Then I heard that there were 18 wheelers jack-knifing here and there. Ems were having the same problems themselves. Wreckers were refusing to get out (don't blame them at all). Finally the salt trucks were getting salt out. This went on for hours, I got tired and went to bed around 3 am. I got up this morning at 9 am, the surrounding counties were still having problems. The insurance companies will have fun this week.

4 comments:

Les Barr said...

We've had the same problem up this way a number of times in the past. Snow does not bother me to drive in, but ice can get real nasty. - Les

Dot O said...

Ice is scary. Hopefully nobody was seriously hurt.

Anonymous said...

I live in Florida now but am from Ohio and I remember this happening. No picture needed, you gave me a picture with your written word.
Great post!!!

Dot O said...

Just checking in. I hope all is okay with you and I hope to see the some more of Kingsport through your eyes!